Friday, 9 November 2012

Happy Independence Day, Cambodia!

PIC and I chilled out and watched the fireworks over the Independence Monument from our roof.
Just wanted to dedicate a post - while there's still a few minutes left on November 9th! - to wish a Happy Independence Day to all of the people of Cambodia!

In 1953, under the reign of the late King Norodom Sihanouk, Cambodia declared independence from France. Cambodia's horrific and tragic past is well known, and I wish more people knew about all of the good and beautiful things that happen here everyday, and about Cambodia's optimistic future.

I feel so lucky to live in this country. Every day I see things that make me think about the way I approach my life, I get to talk to people who have a completely different past from my own, and I get to learn more about the intricacies of the culture of Cambodia. My friends and family in Canada keep asking me when I'm planning on moving 'home', and I just have to tell them that I'm so in love with where I'm living!

It's true: Cambodia, I love you.

xx Lady Expatriate