Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Sometimes I Dress Up As a Teacher



I don't know about you, but I find it to be a bit of a (fun) challenge to dress for my evening classes with my young adult group. Trying to balance authority, modesty, breathable outfits to combat the heat, plus at least a pinch of personality can be tricky. Adding a further layer of difficulty is the fact that as an expat teacher, one has probably showed up in the country with just the dress clothes essentials.

THUS, I've decided to start an occasional feature profiling the things I truly wear to my classes. I thought it might be fun to see if we could get a discussion going about the best teacherly wardrobe pieces!

This piece features my favorite go-to blazer, which is actually a hand-me-down from an old co-worker, a couple of vintage pieces that were bought in Phnom Penh, and a bunch of other random bits. A rather international mishmash, if I do say so!


 
 

 






Blazer: Inherited from my former co-worker when she left Seoul - score!
T-Shirt: Garage Clothing (Toronto) 
Skirt: Basic House (Seoul)
Shoes: My new Perfect Teacher Shoes (Phnom Penh)
Briefcase:
Vintage U.S. Polo Association from Color Vintage (Phnom Penh)
Belt: YSL vintage belt from Color Vintage 
Necklace: My Grandma's antique layered chain
Earrings: Cheonho Subway Station dollar store (Seoul)

Have you ever done a 'Teacher Style' outfit shoot? Please, pretty please send a link in the comments! I'd love to see what look you rock in the classroom!

xx Lady Expatriate

20 comments:

  1. But a cute teacher ;)
    Love your style, girl!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweetie comment, His Little Lady! You're rather stylish yourself :)

      Delete
  2. so lady like! :)

    www.isle-of-view.blogspot.com
    "SAY 'isle of view' 5 TIMES,
    WELL 'isle of view' BACK"

    x,
    JSL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JSL! I do try to be ladylike... whether I always succeed or not...! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  3. That is an incredibly cute outfit! Very Mad Men :)

    I think it's so hard to dress as a young, female teacher, because you want to look smart and authoritative but not frumpy and out of touch.

    I went for lots of shirt dresses, but when it got super hot I was all about the tailored silk jumpsuits. Did work at quite a casual school though!
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silk jumpsuits? That sounds gorgeous!
      Shirt dresses are definitely on the list of things I would love to track down in the markets here. Could easily be the way of the future!
      Thanks heaps for leaving such a sweet comment, Katy. You can bet I adored the Mad Men comparison! xx

      Delete
  4. Truly love the way that you incorporated new, vintage, and inherited in one ensemble. Love the bag. Very professional, but still beautiful at the same time. k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - you've totally made me blush. Thanks for the really kind comment!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely skirt teacher!
    Cecil in rome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the lovely comment, Cecil :)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely stunning I must say. But then you likely look great in anything you wear. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lower Back pain in Toronto: The automobile meaning evolving from a type of cloak and hood that was worn by the inhabitants of the Limousin region that later resembled the covering of a carriage and much later used to describe an automobile body with a permanent top that extended over the open driver's compartment. Foot reflexology Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  8. Acupuncture in Toronto: The automobile meaning evolving from a type of cloak and hood that was worn by the inhabitants of the Limousin region that later resembled the covering of a carriage and much later used to describe an automobile body with a permanent top that extended over the open driver's compartment. Foot Massage Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be willing to bet here that you have some students that have crushes on you... ;) I'm sure someone is singing this song for you..haha

    http://youtu.be/n9dXWk2ix6I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it hasn't happened yet, but I'll let you know if it does ;)
      Cheers for the comment!

      Delete
  10. Leather Belts is very important for a group of people who want to be smart.It a must needed things when you go outside for a party or office.I use to a Leather Belts i found it from this website and it makes me feel batter.
    Ladies Belts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog! I am moving to Cambodia to teach in an international school in a few weeks, and have been wondering about the dress code. I am currently teaching in Kuwait where it is *very* conservative, and wanted to know what teachers were in Cambodia. Are open-toed shoes allowed? What about skirt-length? Short sleeves? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent design , this females horny lingerie is amazingly attractive and wonderful . You may individualize your dressing in fashion with this particular stylish seduction adult horny lingerie . Very attractive and solid the ladies sexy lingerie is an actual must for your clothing collection . Indicate yourself with this lovely females horny lingerie .
    For more detail : http://www.ivaslingerie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This particular women attractive corset lingerie is incredibly attractive in addition to appealing. You could possibly modify your thing on this elegant attraction older attractive corset lingerie. Good hunting in addition to well-made women attractive corset lingerie is mandatory for the wardrobe. Display by yourself on this elegant women corset lingerie.

    http://www.ivaslingerie.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me words! :)