Friday, 19 October 2012

Friday Fave: Custard. Yum.


One of my favorite things about expat living is going to the grocery store. Seriously. As I've mentioned before, I can spend hours staring at all of the foreign ingredients and picking out odd, new tastes to try. I also love that grocery stores trying to cater to expats will include comfort foods from all over the world. I'm pretty excited that I can get Tim Tams, the most brilliant cookies ever made, all the way from Australia here in Phnom Penh, as well as the exact brand of jasmine tea that I delighted in while living in Korea. My newest grocery store experiment has been Custard Powder, hailing from England.

The recipe is pretty simple. You mix two tablespoons of powder with a tablespoon of sugar, all the while boiling milk on your gas range. The key is to stir and stir and be patient til the milk gets to that fluffy point. You add the milk to the powder+sugar, mix it all about, then toss it back in the pot and heat it up once more for fun and added fluffiness. Serve it hot, serve it cold, serve it in the pot nine days old. Um, not that last one. Because ants.

One may just conclude that the purpose of this blog is to provide uses for all those bananas one seems to end up with in Phnom Penh, and in keeping with this idea, here is your tip of the day: mush about three bananas with a fork and add it to the dry mixture before you add the boiled milk. I love, love healthy dessert.

Um, so, yes, in terms of healthiness: obviously the finished product is not quite the same as if you were to take a swig of milk and chomp down a banana on its own, but it's really not half bad, either. No doubt it's a processed product using refined sugar, but not too much sugar, and there's no unidentifiable ingredients on the package.  I never really feel too guilty about it. 

And as an expat without an oven, I'm pretty excited anytime I can find a dessert that can go from gas range or freezer to tummy, without needing a few minutes at 300° on the way. Bonus points to this one for making sure I get at least a cup of milk while I'm gulping it down. "Custard, good for ensuring you don't end up with old lady bones" - isn't that what they always say!?

Where:  I got my Bird's Custard Powder at Natural Garden on the corner of 63 and 310 for $2.25. 

xx Lady Expatriate 

P.S. Like custard? Share my devotion to Tim Tams?! Let's hang out on facebook!