Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Bungee Jumping: Not One of My 26 for 26

Photo: eschlbeck.de via matador
A couple of people have mentioned that bungee jumping would have been a good addition to the 26 for 26 list. And to them I must admit that... well, the feeling of falling freaks me out more than a little!

Lovely readers, please believe me when I say that I've so far ridden some of the steepest, tallest roller coasters in the world, hands up, screaming "Eff ya!" (or some form thereof) at the top of my lungs - love it.

But the sensation of falling just makes my body freeze and panic. Do you know what I mean? The bit where every little piece of your body, from tail bone to tibia, just completely tenses up and screams "nooooo!" It's the reason I rode the Leviathan six times in one day at Canada's Wonderland, but had to summon up a lot of courage to hop on the considerably stumpier Drop Tower even once.

familiental.com via matador
I think because I've built it up so much in my mind, when I meet someone who has bungee jumped before, I find it almost hard to believe that this person, this mortal (and usually lovely!) person in front of me could manage such a stupendous feat. For the first bunch of years of our relationship, whenever it would come up in the company of Partner In Crime, he would be so chill about his bungee experience, and I would always be impressed anew that this person who I knew so well could do something I find unimaginably alien.

So there's the background on that little non-addition to the list. Who knows - maybe I'll just make myself do it, mind over matter, public show of bravery instead of publicly admitting semi-irrational fear. Look for it possibly showing up on next years 27 for 27!

Or maybe not... seriously how scary do these shots from Matador look!? Check out the link to see 25 more of the world's "Burliest Bungee Jumps."

Do tell: have you ever bungee jumped? Was it as scary as I seem to think it is!? If you haven't, are you considering taking the plunge?! (Sorry.)

Bonus Do Tell: What are your thoughts on me incorporating the superlative "burliest" into regular usage here on the blog!? Yay? Nay?

xx Lady Expatriate

2 comments:

  1. Burly or any extension of is totally rad.. keep it up Our Burliest Lady

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me words! :)