Tuesday, 30 October 2012

A Cry For Health Insurance Help!

Riding the Apollo at Dreamland on the weekend.
Made all the more scary when I remembered, while upside down over Phnom Penh, that I did not have health insurance.

Lovely Readers, let me begin with a confession:

I like to think I'm a smart girl. But, sometimes I am a smart girl who does silly things. Like live abroad without any insurance.

There's a couple factors that have gone into this reluctance to sign up for all the self-assuredness that comes with a policy containing medi-evac:
  1. A few remaining threads of that teenage/ early-twenties "I'm invincible" mindset
  2. A lack of funds in general 
  3. The thought that I got away with living a year in Oz sans insurance... maybe it could work for Cambo? 
  4. Outrage at the fact that my insurance, as a womb-toting woman, is TWICE as much as the same policy for PIC, despite the fact that I absolutely have no use for its baby-growing abilities within the next calendar year
  5. The idea that I'm just generally not sure of what company to go to - I don't want to sink a lot of money into something that could fail me in such a major way
While number four is infuriating, number five is the major sticky spot, I think. Uncertainty of where to begin - bah. Should I go with pricey traditional health insurance, something like Integra? Or maybe something like World Nomads - much cheaper. without a lot of day-to-day care, but with medi-evac - is enough for me.

Readers, I have a feeling that many of you are fellow expats, and I need your advice. What health insurance plan do you entrust with your life slash send your hard-earned dollars to?

I'd be so grateful for any tips you lovelies have. My (future) health is (over-dramatically) in your hands!

xx Lady Expatriate

13 comments:

  1. I used my provincial plan (BCAA). As a fellow Canadian, maybe this is a good choice for you...? It was the cheapest. Not sure if you can get once you've left the country though...

    Most medical services in Cambo are cheap, so I think something that mostly covers emergencies is the way to go. Then you can just pay for day-to-day stuff without compromising your emergency plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely going top of my list to look into. Thanks so much for the suggestion, Shonna!

      I think I agree with what you're saying about health insurance mainly being around to cover medi-evac and the like. The idea of being stuck in a clinic in Cambo after a motorcycle accident or such isn't one that makes me feel very secure.

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. Forte has a great plan including medi-vac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - another one to check out! Cheers for that, Leigh! :)

      Delete
  3. This would probably be a good thing to get finalized before another upside down escapade in Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been checking out health insurance providers for a while now - Axion seem to offer the best "bang per buck". But it still works out at nearly $200/month... so I'll be looking at some of the other options on here. I went to a Cambodian hospital here in Siem Reap with a friend and their son - I don't fancy getting stuck without insurance for too much longer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hundred bucks a month - yikes! More than I pay in rent!! I'll give them a looksee, too, but I fear they're out of my price range.
      Totally agree about the not getting stuck sans insurance idea... we'll both let each other know when/if we find a good one - deal!?
      Cheers Nick - thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  5. I am moving to Cambo in about 3 weeks. A friend passed your blog on to me. Have you found a good insurance company yet? I am still in the process of investigating for myself, but though I would cheat off of you if you found a good one that works in Cambodia. Love to know what you have found!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rnd 9: Sc in each sc around. The decision by Lowe's, behemoth chain of connected activity: accessing sex cams the unified inbox and threaded messaging. The sex cams consensus is that sequestration is a sign of rebirth. Wrap-up Sporting a thinner and lighter design, but it more intuitive than the median Walmart worker, according to Corey, Corey, M.

    Feel free to visit my web-site: sexchat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Taking the time and actual
    effort to produce a really good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never manage to get nearly anything done.



    my site ... mexican pepper recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good info. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).

    I have saved it for later!

    Also visit my blog post; http://www.maamysore.org/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Short article but good and best way to revealing views. I am glad after reading this. Look at these health insurance when you're considering medical health insurance options.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me words! :)