Friday, 21 September 2012

Friday Fave: Getting a Copy of My Perfect Teacher Shoes Made


Lovely Readers, do you ever worry about your favorite items of clothing wearing out?

I ask because I seem to have developed a slight fear of my "essentials" reaching their inevitable threadbare state. Perhaps it's because I've been on a bit of a limited budget for much of my adult life (plane tickets take up a lot of my shopping fund!). Perhaps it's because I'm used to only having about 2 suitcases worth of only my favorite clothing. Or maybe it's because I've always been worried that my new city won't have the same supply of good stuff that my last city had. For whatever reason, this worry is something that pops into my head when I look at my clothes rack - which is silly! I should just be enjoying these things while I have them and not giving material belongings this much emotional energy.

Some happy news is that I no longer have to worry about what I'll do when my favorite shoes wear out, because I just so happen to have found the fountain of everlasting footwear life. Let me tell you a little story about a leather phoenix with a wedge heel...

These little fellas are from ABC Mart in Korea, bought for $40-ish about a year ago, and they, my dear readers, are what I can only describe as The Perfect Teacher Shoes.
I'm not the tallest of girls, and when I teach my younger adult class here in Phnom Penh, I'm really not too much older than some of my students. This means I definitely dig the extra bit of height and love that these shoes declare just enough authority in the timbre of the heel.
They're also insanely comfy, logically leading me to wear them everyday...

Which could be why some members of our household have expressed a slight dislike of their 'signature scent.' I get where he's coming from, but once you've found the perfect teaching shoe, it's not an easy thing to give up. What's a girl to do?! 

Why, head to Beautiful Shoes, of course! I heard (I think here) that this shop made shoes that were, uh, beautiful, and thought I'd see if they could make a copy of my odorific/authoritative kicks.
They could! They would! 12 days later, they had!



As the talented cobbler had forewarned me when I dropped the old ones off, there are some slight differences - no elastic on the sides, a bit of a different toe shape - but they've captured the concept of the shoe perfectly.
I wore them to class for the first time last night - the timbre was perfect! Just enough authority in the sound of each step!


I'm super stoked that as long as I'm in Cambodia and have $20 to spare, my Perfect
Teacher Shoes will have everlasting life!
I would definitely recommend Beautiful Shoes if you're wanting a copy made of your fave shoes, or if you'd like to have a pair custom made. They're on #138 on Street 143 in BKK3.

Do Tell: Have you ever had shoes made for you? If you could have shoes custom made for you, what would they look like!?

  Hope you have a lovely weekend, and a lovely LONG weekend if you're in Cambodia! Woo-hooo!

  xx Lady Expatriate 

  P.S. Just found this article about the history of the Beautiful Shoes shop - definitely worth a 
  read and a think.

5 comments:

  1. Man I wish I could have that done for my favourite boots! I had that sad moment where I finally actually looked at them and realised they had honest to goodness giant holes in the back :(

    And I know what you mean about teacher shoes. I used to teach and had this great pair of pirate boots that made the most authoritative clipclop in the halls. You need a 'don't cross me' walking soundtrack when dealing with teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right about the walking soundtrack to announce your presence in a class of teens. Can only imagine the authoritative stomp you could manage with a pair of pirate boots!

      It's so sad when a favorite thing wears out... like when it's the PERFECT pair of boots... Wish I could help you out! Any chance you'll be visiting Phnom Penh soon!?

      Delete
  2. Very fine post. The shoes are very fine. Good color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate what I assume is an expert opinion! :)

      Delete
  3. I like your post, thanks for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me words! :)