Wednesday, 26 September 2012

26 Adventures To Keep the Party Going Through My 26th Year


As I see it, September is the loveliest of all the months. In Canada, it's turning into fall and everyone's back to school (which I, as a total nerd, always adored). In Australia, spring is starting to have sprung and all of the beautiful people will soon begin becoming tanned anew. In Phnom Penh... well, it's hot. And wonderful like always. And those are the reasons why September is the most wonderful of the months.

Oh yes: and because it's my birthday!

As you may know, I'm a rather compulsive list-maker and goal-setter, and not a birthday and/or New Year and/or start of any month has ever gone by without putting numbers down the side of a page and filling in the spaces with plans for exciting things. Following the examples of three of my favorite bloggers, Sarah, Whit  and Elsie, I've decided to pop my list up online and share each of these little goals with you.

Some are about exploring the rich culture of Cambo, some are a little bit silly, some are about spending money on spoiling myself in a way I've never given myself permission to before, and some are the stuff of pure adventure.

So, in my 26th year, here are 26 brilliant things I'm going after:

        1. Drive a moto
        2. Try eating frog

        3. Finish the Angkor Wat Half Marathon                              
        4. Go to Vietnam
        5. Successfully give blood
        6. Do a Khmer princess photoshoot
        7. Try to figure out Photoshop
        8. Confidently bike in Phnom Penh
        9. Go rollerskating at Sorya Mall
        10. Obtain and read my credit report
        11. Get a totally impractical manicure  
        12. Try eating fresh durian
        13. Take a Khmer cooking or Apsara dance class
        14. Try a cleanse or macrobiotic diet for a week
        15. Get health insurance

        16. Have an outfit tailor-made
        17. Have an article published in a magazine
        18. Shoot a gun 
        19. Have an hour-long foot massage
        20. Go on a biking day trip outside Phnom Penh
        21. Have an ethical 'encounter' with a wild animal
        22. Read all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
        23. Visit a dermatologist 
        24. Do a collaborative post with a biz here
        25. Make my own brown sugar exfoliating scrub         
        26. Visit a floating village

Bring it on! :)

xx Lady Expatriate



23 comments:

  1. Finish a full marathon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeee - maybe that would be a good one for 27? Actually bie, I've really got to get going on this half... the deadline for stepping things up is stealthily approaching! I think Burs and I are going to have to start running at night. Might not be the best plan, but it's really the only time we've got left.

      Delete
  2. You are merely a spring chicken @ 26. I did enjoy going down your list while mentally checking those I have done, brown sugar exfoliating scrub which is not one... Yet.

    Happy B-day Our Dear Lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo - which ones have you done? Please do share!
      I think I plan on making the brown sugar scrub soon, so you can check out if you think it's something you're into!
      Cheers - thanks for the birthday wishes :)

      Delete
  3. Happy B-day! I like your list, but i hope you'll change your mind about eating a frog:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the bday wishes! I'm really curious - why do you hope I'll change my mind?
      To be honest, this is a weird one for me, too. I was vegetarian for over four years and have only started eating meat again in the last year. Frog is actually not an uncommon thing here - it's on most menus, but I still feel like for me - the non-adventurous food gal - it was a wild thing.
      Please do share your opinion, though! I'm open to arguments from all sides :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a cool list. I would love to see a floating village :) Happiest birthday! xo L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cup Thief! I've never seen anything like a floating village before, so it should be a neat experience. I'll be sure to post about it - maybe you'll like the pics and just have to come check it out for yourself! :)

      Delete
  5. Love the list! Inspiring me to make me a big 2-1 list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I can't wait to see that, my dear! I think I might know one of the things that would go on it...!!!
      Thanks for reading my blog, Ms. Jenna!

      Delete
  6. I'm totally doing this for my 30th, but I have to take a leaf out of your book and choose a good mix of goals. Currently it's all publish a novel and run n ultra marathon. Overambitious? Moi? :) kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy - I can't wait to see your list! I've had so much fun discovering your blog in the last week, and I have a feeling your list would be badass!!
      Please oh please post every little piece of getting ready for the ultra - that's such a mindbreakingly huge feat!
      Cheers my dear :)

      Delete
    2. Quite an ambitious list you have there. I agree with leaving the frog out of things though. I love the idea of the princess photo shoot - sounds like a memory maker from afar, and I am sure that you will be the most beautiful princess ever. Definitely want a hard copy of that one. xoxo mom

      Delete
    3. Thanks, my lovely Mom! Stoked you think I'd make a pretty princess! Haha and you'd better be believin that we're going to do a family photoshoot all done up when you guys come and visit!!

      Delete
  7. Hello fellow Phnom Penher- Happy happy birthday!

    #9 sounds like fun.

    #11 can be obtained cheaply at any khmer salon (there are a few with wild nails near legend cinema at the top of city mall.)

    #14 Artillery is doing a raw cleanse in early Nov.

    #15 Forte & Infinity offer international insurance.

    #16 I like Ororusso for having clothes made, but there are so many options!

    Good luck on enjoying your list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, thanks for the bday wishes, Leigh :)
      And thanks so much for the suggestions. That's brilliant that ARTillery is offering a cleanse... just a bummer that it really can't work with my budget at the moment. Bah. Thanks for the head's up, though! I'd love to do it. <3 ARTillery, as I'm sure you can guess!

      Major thanks for the comment and for sharing your Phnom Penh wisdom!

      Delete
  8. Go for the frog!!! its delicious... GO FOR IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I had no idea the frog would be such a divisive issue! ^^

      Delete
  9. 9. Go rollerskating at Sorya Mall

    Yes! Yes! Try together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal! I'll try to get a group together sometime soon, and I'll be sure to give you a shout, Kwanseok!! :)

      Delete
  10. You are hereby invited to join in on a Sunday bike trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I'd seriously love that. Give a shout sometime! :)

      Delete
  11. Stunning quest there. What happened after? Good luck! http://www.exoticcarrental305.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me words! :)