Monday, 27 August 2012

Yes, We (Don't) Have No Bananas!

With a bit of extra cake mix on top, 'cos I'm wild like that.

I was relaxing a few nights ago, feet up after a hard day of expat-ing, and enjoying the delightful blog Sometimes Sweet. Little did I know I was about to stumble upon a solution to a common problem in Cambo: too many bananas!

I love that you can get a literal bunch and a half of small, sweet bananas for under a buck, but at the same time a girl only needs so much potassium, and the shelf-life of these bananas is exceptionally short. Luckily, Danielle posted about a homemade fruit version of frozen yogurt featuring... wait for it... bananas.



Next time your bananas start going bad, chop them up and put them in the freezer. When you're ready for an easy-as dessert, blend the frozen bananas up with some dry powder cake mix (I couldn't find cocoa powder, as Danielle originally instructed) and a splash of water or milk. Or cream, if you're feel indulgent. And maybe some avocado? Mmmm.  

You can eat it frozen, or thaw it out and turn it into a pudding. Either way, it's delicious, cheap as chips (especially compared to the $7 tubs of ice cream offered at Lucky), and saves you from tossing bananas when you've just got too darn many. Get on it!

Do tell:
Will you give it a go? If you do, definitely let us all know in the comments just how it turned out!

xx Lady Expatriate

P.S.
Like chocolate? Like bananas? Then, logically speaking, I'm sure you'll also Like my facebook page!!