Friday, 10 August 2012

Friday Favorite: Hair Donut for a Teacherly Look!

OH NO! Picture this: 

Three minutes until you must be tuk-tuk bound, and you'd thought you were set to head out your front door, on your way to walking authoritatively into your classroom. 

Pretty but not-too-flashy makeup?  Check. 
Modest, feminine professional attire?  Oh yeah.
Deodorant?  Yes ma'am.
...am I forgetting something?

I kid you not, just about everyday I run through this all important checklist only to realize at the last moment that I have forgotten all that nonsense sitting in disarray atop my noggin. Seriously, even I am confused: HOW do I so consistently forget to do something with my hair?! Aaaand now I'm down to two minutes... PANIC!

Forgetting something.

And this, my dear readers, is why the hair donut is one of my absolute favorite things. It's quick to pop in, it holds your hair in place, it poofs up your bun into a rather awe-inducing pile of hair, and I feel like it bestows a bit more 'smart' than the average pony tail or messy bun.

How to? Why, simply make a ponytail (up real high for a hip-as top knot, a little further back for a professor-esque bun), slide the hair donut over the ponytail, and arrange the hair in a circular motion til it looks oh-so-professional. Pop another elastic over, perhaps pin a few rogues in place, and bob's your uncle.

Just about a hundred times more teacher-ly.

But seriously, though - it wasn't just a narrative device: I really did only have about three minutes before I left for work!
I know other amazing ladies have rocked the same look using a sock. And to those ladies, I say 'you are fantastic' because I have simply not been able to have the sock hold my hair in place all throughout the day.
I'm a big fan of this little fella because the texture of it (lots of little hooks, kind of?) grabs hair and really keeps it in its desired intellectual-looking shape. Which is especially good when you're late for work and the tuk-tuk driver has the pedal to the floor. (Bonus note: in such a case, as in most cases, hair spray is your friend. Doing the old toothbrush trick makes you even savvier. Do it up.)

(I drew this. Truly.)


I grabbed my lovely hair donut for cheap-cheap ($3?) from an H&M store in Canada. Here's a link to what it looks like on their G.Britain site.

And so I thank you for tuning into this week's edition of Favorite Things Friday, also known as 'How to Look Professional While Being Lazy and Forgetful'.

Cheers! Happy weekend! 


xx Lady Expatriate