Saturday, 21 July 2012

Things we found in the apartment...

So our lovely landlady let it drop that the last tenant was a lone male, which we actually could have guessed after gazing upon the grime that was sitting pretty in a few places. Sorry bachelor boys - the stereotype really has proved true a whole lot more than not, in my experience!
Anyways, I reckon it's always interesting to see what the previous tenants have left in apartments. A little window into a life that you can otherwise imagine solely by the dirt left in their wake. 

Korea was pretty fun in that regard. In Korea, apartments are provided by your employer. Most contracts seemed to include a clause about the basic equipment included in those apartments, meaning they tended to come stocked with things like plates, cutlery, and all the junk that the last employee left behind. Sometimes a pain, sometimes a gold mine, always interesting! 

Not so much, I suppose, in Cambo, since nearly everyone seems to stock the necessities for themselves. About 24 hours in, and all the legacy we've found of those who've come before us can so far be summed up in three photos:

BONUS! Found $4.30 Canadian, and a couple assorted other coins! Just my lucky day, I suppose.

Random keys. Look like none of the keys that are for our apartment. Curiosity abounds.

Biggest mortar and pestle I've ever personally had possession of. You seriously need two hands to pick this sucker up.



And thus concludes our Finding Stuff in the Apartment adventure... at least for now! Nothing too surprising/shocking/scandalous, but, hey - $4.30 off on the rent isn't a bad deal, either. 

Do tell:
Have you ever found anything really creepy/crazy in your new apartment? I'm dying to hear what. Oh please do share in the comments!

xx Lady Expatriate

4 comments:

  1. Just an FYI: You can get a maid to clean your entire apartment - floors, walls, bathroom, everything in the place - for about $5 typically. I pay the maid who cleans for me $7 or $8, but her fee is $5, so she thinks (or acts like) I'm the return of Buddha. She'll come once a week or once a month, whenever.

    So if some guy was living in PP, wallowing in his own filth instead of paying a maid $5 and having her in for an hour or two a week, he isn't just a typical bachelor slob, he was being absolutely boneheaded and frankly a little bit creepy.

    One of the greatest things about living here for us "bachelor" types is that you don't have to clean, you can hire a maid ... as well as ...

    You don't do laundry - I can get my entire wardrobe laundered for about $10. Cleaned, ironed, folded, bagged up nicely. Every piece of clothing I own, ten bucks, overnight.

    You never have to cook, just find the good restaurants that are really cheap. All I eat is Indian food practically. It was always one of my favorite cuisines, so why not? It probably costs me like $6-8 a day to eat if I go to the cheap spots, and it is tasty (better than what I can manage) and filling. I won't say healthy, but it probably has some nutritional value beyond the carbs. Maybe.

    NOW, the problem I see is that your landlady should really have brought her own maid into the place to clean it thoroughly before moving you in. This may be Cambodia, but that would be considered a common courtesy and sensible here. I'd have pointed to the grime patches and just shook my head sadly ... No need for words, you're too disappointed with humanity to speak ... AND she'd be on the phone with the maid and rushing her down there pronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving such a long and thoughtful comment!

      You're exactly right on several points. My bf and I were terribly green about making demands on the apartment before signing the papers and moving in. It's a great point that there's absolutely no reason for her not to have had a housekeeper deep-clean the space before we got the key. This was absolutely a learning experience on just how firm and clear one has to be.

      Luckily, we've got a housekeeper on the way, and of course I'm on your side with the laundry - such a treat to not have it on the To Do List!

      Thanks a bunch for the advice on talking with my landlady, and for the pointers on food. So far I'm really loving the Khmer dishes, and you really can't beat the price!

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend and I moved to San Antonio in January and there's this angel made of hay (that could be an old christmas decoration) hanging on the end of the curtain rod in our kitchen. It's kind of creepy looking, but I couldn't bring myself to take it down. I'm not even religious or spiritual, but I feel like I'd be cursed if I stuck it in the back of the closet or something. Like, I'd probably die if I threw it away..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAA! That is so very funny, party just in and of itself, and partly because I have such a similar situation rocking!
      From the curtain rod in the living room, there hangs a chunky little yellow plastic star. It's pretty high up, and the color is pretty pale and easy to forget about, but I still actively SEE it once in awhile. But I haven't cut it down yet? Why not? I don't really like it, and it's even broken... Something is stopping me from chopping the string in two. Eeeep!
      Well - if you ever decide to tempt fate and get rid of it, let me know and we'll pick a date. Solidarity. It's a good thing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving me words! :)